Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Marimo

Today I though I would share with you my family of MarimoCladophora aegagropila, or marimo, are spherical shaped filament algae bits that thrive at the bottom of chilly lakes. The shape is cause by the current in the water, rolling them into a ball over time. The slow growing algae can be found in only a few lakes in Japan and Iceland. Marimo enjoy shade and cool water, similar to how life would have been in their natural environment. Their water needs to be changed about once a week, but other than that they are very simple pets!

baby marimo

Micro-marimo

Papa Marimo

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that's so cool. They look like fuzzy peas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could have a marimo! But the quarantine laws here in Tasmania won't allow me to import one into the state ;A;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, that's too bad! What kind of simple pets/plants are popular over there?

      Delete