Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Natural Sciences: Botany

What I've been reading lately:



If you haven't read or browsed through the pages of one of Amy Stewart's books, I highly recommend that you get your hands on one of them. They are all very detailed and extremely fascinating. Her latest book, The Drunken Botanist is a particular favorite of mine. It discusses plants in relation to alcohol with history, drink recipes, illustrations, and more!

My carnivorous plant terrarium

I've also taken a keen interest in carnivorous plants over the past few months. They are known for being very difficult to maintain by gardeners and often aren't found in plant shops because of it. So far, with much attention, I've been able to properly care for my Venus Flytrap (Dionaea Muscipula) and Pitcher plant (Sarracenia).  I recently visited an oddities shop in Pioneer Square called The Belfrey. They have tons of beautiful carnivorous plant terrariums in addition to many other interesting antiques. If you are ever in the Seattle area, it's definitely worth checking out. Here are some picture I snapped of their plant collection. 



1. Drosera capensis 2. Sarracenia rubra hybrid 3. Sarracenia rubra hybrid 4. Drosera adelae

While attempting to identify the carnivorous plant species above, I came across this awesome chart. I can't find a source for it but it's been making its way around Tumblr for quite some time. If anyone knows where it comes from, please let me know. 

1 comment: